Kara Aisenbrey

Hello everyone!
My name is Kara, and I specialize in fantasy and science fiction editing for YA, new adult, and adult. I love just about everything with a spark of the unusual in it–historical, contemporary, fairy tale, dystopian, space travel, steampunk…I love it all. I offer copyediting, line editing, and developmental editing, but I must say my first love is helping authors with the story elements most. But I am not opposed to taking on copyediting work from publishers, especially as sometimes it’s a nice change of pace from pondering developmental problems.

I have only ever worked with indie authors directly. I do love being able to help authors on the road to self-publishing, so I will probably continue to work with indies, but I definitely would like the opportunity of some bread-and-butter publishing clients. My goal is to be able to quit my day job within the next year and be able to devote all my time to my freelance editing business. I would love to know whether I have the experience yet to be able to start targeting any publishers–and if not, what my next steps are to make that happen. And I would love some advice on which publishing types to target and how to approach them (I have never cold-emailed anyone before, and I admit that my toes start to curl up in dread at the thought of all the gaffes I could make).

It’s nice to get to know you all, and I look forward to our discussions! 🙂
Kara