Jennifer Lawler

I think either approach could work fine (adding it to education or creating a separate professional development section). Remember that most people aren’t going to spend much time looking at the resume, and for most recipients you will need to keep it to one page (academic publishes are more used to the CV approach, where you can give a lot more details). For the one-page resume, it makes sense to give just a sample of course titles, probably those most applicable to the job at hand and/or the most recent, rather than every professional development class you’ve ever taken.

And keep in mind that people (all job applicants) have a tendency to lean too heavily on the resume to do the work of selling their skills. If I couldn’t tell from the LOI why the person would be a good fit for working with me, I didn’t bother trying to decode the resume. I sometimes received LOIs that said something like, “Hi, Jennifer! I’d love to work with your company. I think you’ll find I have a lot of useful skills (see the attached resume). Thanks for your time!”

I really didn’t have time to figure out what kind of work they were interested in doing and what specific experience or training they had that made them capable of doing it, so those LOIs always got deleted.

Make your argument clear in the LOI, then let the resume be the supplement/further detail to support the points you made in the LOI.