Forums Club Ed Book Club Where the Crawdads Sing discussion Reply To: Where the Crawdads Sing discussion

Adrienne Pond
Participant

I’m so sorry that I couldn’t join but I just enjoyed reading everyone’s contributions. Is the main organization that you all meet at a particular time to discuss it and then the discussion closes?

In case anyone checks back in, I was super excited to read this book, falsely thinking it would make me feel the way A Girl of the Limberlost did/does. The POV shifts, time jumps, crime investigation, abandonment issues, and many of the other things you all mentioned also drew me out of the story. I truthfully ran out of time to finish it, but I got pretty far in and found myself less and less interested in picking it back up.

This is the author’s first attempt at fiction, I believe, and I also was super excited about her being a wildlife scientist. I thought it would enrich the descriptions of the landscape, which I think it did but all too sporadically.

One paragraph I really liked:
p. 34
“… Sometimes she heard night-sounds she didn’t know or jumped from lightning too close, but whenever she stumbled, it was the land that caught her. Until at last, at some unclaimed moment, the heart-pain seeped away like water into sand. Still there, but deep. Kya laid her hand upon the breathing, wet earth, and the marsh became her mother.”