Forums Club Ed Editors’ Forum Networking for Freelancers

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

I just posted in Club Ed about networking for editors.

Networking is probably the biggest challenge for editors, especially those who are introverted. People often mistake it for being smarmy and sales-y, but really it’s just about connecting with people who have the same interests you do.

I enjoy going to writer’s groups and I would say that this (along with attending conferences) has been my number one way of getting referrals. Tell me about your experiences–what works for you?

Adrienne Pond
      Participant

It’s not exactly straight networking, but I am part of a great group of editors (formed from one of Jennifer’s courses). We connect on Slack. Many things come up that I feel new editors especially find invaluable. No question is too silly. We all respect each other and our different levels of experience. I would recommend any one of them to a client I couldn’t help. It’s a great way to learn from each other, develop trust, and have colleagues I feel great about sending writers to.

Adrienne Pond
      Participant

(Is there a way to edit our posts here?)

Some of the things we do in our Slack group:
      * Every couple of weeks we discuss another chapter/corresponding exercises from The Copyeditor’s Handbook.
      * Something we’d like feedback on (resume, website, LOI, challenge with a client)
      * Technical issues (using Word functions, big file transfers, etc.)
      * Marketing/branding
      * fiction vs nonfiction
      * (many other topics)

Everyone in my group has more professional experience than I and so I think I am benefiting more than anyone.But I have other experience they do not so it all works out and I’m so grateful not to be alone with some of the questions I’ve asked.

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

That’s great, Adrienne! One of the most overlooked aspects of networking is that it can help you become better at the work (not just as a source of referrals). We all need those people we can turn to for advice.

Nancy Disenhaus
      Participant

Adrienne, your Slack group sounds incredibly helpful and supportive. What a fine idea! I noted a couple of my networking efforts on the Getting Paying Work thread (I hate to think of it that way, for the reasons Jennifer mentioned, but rather as ways I’ve connected with writers and other editors). So far I’ve gone to my VT EFA meetings (twice yearly, but wonderful–met a local publisher, which was cool); gone to local authors’ book talks; gone to another talk by an editor and a president of the Vermont College of Fine Arts; gone to the local writers workshop meeting; and forced myself to reply to at least two or three EFA job postings every week (with zero results in terms of paid work, though a few extended and fun conversations with authors). I had to really force myself the first few times to do these things, but I am giving it my all. Fingers crossed, also eyes, as a beloved cousin once said.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

These are great, Nancy! At the beginning, it really is just a lot of planting of seeds. Eventually the seeds turn into plants and begin to bear fruit!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.