Forums Club Ed Book Club State of Wonder discussion

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

Hello, everyone! Who’s with me today? We’ll be discussing Ann Patchett’s STATE OF WONDER in this thread.

I’m shocked to say (given our track record) that I enjoyed this one and didn’t have a lot of “wow, really?” moments.

Jake Nicholls
      Participant

Hello, I’m here! Yes, I enjoyed this one on the whole, too, and I’m looking forward to discussing it.

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

Hi, Jake! I liked a number of things, such as the contrast of the setting (Minnesota v Brazil). I actually know Minnesota pretty well, so I had a few “Oh, I’ve been to Crookston!” moments but I think the setting would still be effective for readers unfamiliar with the area. Do you agree?

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

Yes, absolutely—I think that did work really well. I’ve never been to Minnesota or Brazil, but the contrast between a cold climate, urban/suburban setting and the claustrophobic descriptions of the heat and the jungle in Brazil was very effective. I think this was further highlighted in the contrast between the clinical settings, i.e. the lab in Minnesota vs. the improvised set-up in Brazil.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Yes, I could feel those bugs crawling on me!

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

Other things I enjoyed:

The author’s ability to characterize briefly and pungently–Dr. Swenson’s letter is so revealing about who she is.

The author’s ability to create open questions that draw us along: “Karen Eckman sat in a two-story brick colonial thinking her husband would be coming home as soon as he could make Dr. Swenson listen to reason.” !!! Now I want to know what’s going on.

The author typically uses present tense for flashbacks while the forward action of the story is told in immediate past tense. I think this may be the first time I’ve encountered such an approach and I really liked it, as it helps address an issue with flashbacks (that they remove any sense of immediacy from the story).

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

Dr. Swenson was such a strong character! Even though she’d probably terrify me in real life, I really enjoyed reading about her and the interactions she had with other characters. I did find it a bit hard to connect with Marina because she was often very passive, but in the context of scenes with Dr. Swenson, Marina’s behaviour made a lot more sense.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

The characterization of Dr. Swenson was spectacular, I thought. At first I had a knee-jerk “what an awful person” reaction but gradually I came to understand her better and my reaction became more nuanced. She’s grotesque and pathetic and inspiring all at once.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Marina was a bit more of a cipher for me, but I did like seeing her take a more active role in her fate as the story progressed. And I wished Dr. Swenson could have shown her the understanding and reassurance she provides later (after Marina does the c-section up in the trees) in the beginning, when Marina made her “mistake” and gave up obstetrics. It felt bittersweet and true to life.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

I found Marina frustratingly passive for a large chunk of the story—but on reflection, I think it was more that she felt compelled by duty (like Dr. Swenson says towards the end: if she gave Marina a task that meant she had to stay, she would stay). I wonder if there’d be a way to give her some more active choices towards the beginning of the novel without changing this duty-bound aspect of her character—or whether it works well enough as it is?

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Yes, I think that’s a hard one–she is duty-bound, that’s her nature, and so she’s going to go along with what her authorities tell her to do. But there’s a difference between “duty-bound” and “passive” so it seems at least possible that she could be a more active character.

I mean, there are plenty of reluctant heroes that I don’t consider passive even though they’re not champing at the bit to undertake the journey.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Although I do wonder if that isn’t part of the effect the author is striving for: Marina is so passive that we naturally assume she will fall in with Dr. Swenson’s plans for her, yet it is in working with Dr. Swenson that she develops the courage to reject that “duty.”

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

Yes, that’s an interesting point. Perhaps the change in Marina’s character is more compelling precisely because she started out so passive.

I would have liked to see how her relationship with Mr. Fox changed, because I didn’t really get a sense of it when he visited the jungle. If Marina had started thinking of him as Jim towards the end, I would have felt like she was in a position to change the power dynamic there. As it was, I got the impression that she might just slip back into her deferential ’employee’ role in their relationship.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

As for using present tense for flashbacks—I agree that that worked really well. I was especially impressed by that scene on the plane, where Marina is battling with the Lariam-induced dreams, plus the major flashback, plus the present goings-on on the plane!

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Yes, that was a tour de force!

Though, overall, I could have done with fewer scenes regarding nightmares. They felt really repetitious and boring after a while, though I get that part of the hideousness of the nightmares is how repetitious they are.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

It was mildly interesting to see how the context of the nightmares changed over time, while the actual ‘content’ of losing her father stayed the same—but, yes, there were more than enough in-depth descriptions of each iteration! I was expecting some sort of resolution to the nightmare ‘subplot’, but I suppose that (a) the dreams were just another way of increasing the claustrophobic atmosphere, and (b) it’s more true to life that these sort of things are stuck in your subconscious mind forever!

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

I think I would have liked the nightmare subplot better if Marina had been the one to “hallucinate” the vision of the father (who turns out to be Anders) rather than the friend whose name I’ve suddenly forgotten being the one to see him.

Dr. Swenson could still say, “Wait a minute, you saw a white man and didn’t wonder who it was?” and plot events could resolve as they do.

But maybe that would dovetail too neatly.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

That could have been interesting, but I think it might have taken a bit of manoeuvring to make that work without it feeling overly convenient for the plot (also, I think Marina’s father was Indian—so something else might have been needed). As it was, I think the sheer unexpected coincidence of that friend (whose name I have also forgotten—Belinda?) seeing Anders came across as fairly realistic—if very lucky!—rather than convenient, because no one was actually looking for him at the time.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Yes, you’re right, all good points!

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

I did feel there were places the author tried to lead readers by the nose a little too much: “Oh, Anders! To have been sent off on a mission you were never right for. To be regarded after your death as an error of judgment.”

That’s already in the text and we’ve already reacted to the horror of Swenson thinking of Anders’ death as a mere inconvenience to her.

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

And while I liked the allusion to the Orpheus myth, perhaps it didn’t need to be dragged out into the open for us to consider.

Same with Easter; the name is perhaps too on-the-nose. Let the reader discover the resurrected man theme themselves; we don’t need the sacrifice of Easter to be named Easter.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

I agree—the opera scene was great (I loved that Dr. Swenson just appeared out of the darkness and the others had to endure the whole opera knowing she was right behind them!) but it did go a little too far in the explanation of its relevance.

Speaking of Easter, what did you think of the ending? I didn’t like it at all—I’m not sure what it was, but a lot seemed to happen out of the blue, and it didn’t feel much like the resolution I was expecting.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

I agree, the ending was a bit of a meh for me. It seemed a little too lucky that Anders isn’t dead (why don’t the cannibals kill him?). And then I felt that if Easter has to be the sacrifice, let him be a real sacrifice; it’s an awful decision for Anders (and Marina) to make and it should feel awful, and unresolved, and a burden. But they seem to get expiation for this sin when we find out the Swenson told Easter’s family that he was dead when he really wasn’t. In other words, it’s not really so bad that he has been returned to his family.

Why not let it be really bad? It could have been a stunning moment of cowardice and capitulation but that’s ruined by all the retconning.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

At first, I thought Marina’s lack of reaction was shock and/or denial, but she never seemed to reach a point where she felt really terrible about it. And the fact that Anders was telling it as a story when they got back to Manaus made him seem blasé about it, too!

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Yes, it was a horrible thing to do and yet it doesn’t really seem to affect either Anders or Marina, despite that fact that they both wanted to bring him home with them. It’s not that they should have brought him home, just that if they cared so much about him to want to bring him home, I would expect them to have a reaction to his loss.

It feels like the author is complicit in sweeping it under the rug rather than laying the question bare.

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

I also felt like the moment where Marina releases Easter from the snake served as a beautiful counterpoint to her “mistake,” but then she also successfully does a c-section up in the trees, and with Dr. Swenson as well, which turns a moment of redemption mundane. We don’t need all these c-sections to see that Marina has grown and changed in the jungle.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

Yes, the snake scene was really well-written and vivid!

What did you think about Dr. Swenson’s surgery happening off-page? On the one hand, I don’t think another surgery scene was necessary, but on the other, surely it was a massive emotional moment for Marina—the coming together of multiple threads? I felt like there was a big build-up to it, but we never got to see its emotional impact on Marina, because the aftermath was immediately replaced by the whole Anders situation.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

I agree; I think another surgery scene wasn’t needed but to treat it as hardly worth mention robs the story of a potentially important moment of synthesis, where several story threads come together.

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

I enjoyed the moments of humor and irony throughout but I do think the author lost her way a little with that ending. Jake, you mentioned it not being what you “expected.” What did you feel would be more in line with the story that went before?

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

I’m not sure, to be honest. My expectations were continually changing with each reveal about the scientists’ work and Dr. Swenson’s pregnancy, and then Mr. Fox turning up out of the blue. I felt like these plot developments were building towards Marina choosing to stay in Brazil—especially when Dr. Swenson suggested that Marina would take over her role. I had also (I’m sorry to say) more or less completely forgotten about Anders! So, although that plot point obviously ties in with the bigger picture, it felt a bit ‘tacked on’, in a way.

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

Yes, I was more interested in how Marina would resolve her relationship with Dr. Swenson than in what happened to Anders. And I guess “she fulfilled her duty” is one way of looking at the ending but it’s not the interesting part of the story.

The whole “Lost Horizon” feel was interesting to me–this world of eternal(ish) youth hidden away in the depths of the rain forest, at risk should it be revealed to the outside world–and I think it merited more of an ending than it received. As it turns out, Dr. Swenson has decided that women don’t need this fertility treatment and everyone, including Marina, goes along with that.

Certainly I understand this perspective (zero interest in becoming pregnant at age 73) but instead of opening that question up, the author again just shuts the door on it. Dr. Swenson decrees it and so it shall be; instead of fertility, we will have a malaria vaccine. Yet it’s not a question of one or the other.

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

Hm, yes—that’s very true. If you frame it as a journey to discover a hidden world and its secrets, the ending does feel very anticlimactic. Marina earns the knowledge, and then does nothing with it—she just leaves it up to other people to decide what to do with it, as you said.

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

Jake, I was thinking about reading Celeste Ng’s LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE for next time. (That would be May 6.) Are you up for that? Hopefully Kendra and others will join us next month but I’m wondering if we should perhaps put book club on hiatus for a bit?

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

Yes, I’m definitely up for that! Hopefully some more people can join us—it would be a shame to put the book club on hiatus.

Jennifer Lawler
        Keymaster

Okay, then let’s plan on it. Thanks!

Jake Nicholls
        Participant

Excellent—I look forward to it. Thanks for another interesting discussion!

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

Thank you, Jake! Looking forward to further discussions.

Rachel Poe
      Participant

Ack! Sorry I missed the discussion, especially after I suggested the book! I logged on the morning of April 1 before the discussion started and then forgot to come back until now.

I have really enjoyed hearing your insights. Is it too late to continue the discussion? I’ll just add one quick point. The reason I suggested the book, why I was interested to hear developmental editors take on the book, is that I found the writing to be amazing, each sentence beautifully crafted, but the story, especially the ending, to be very…what in the worlds is happening and why should I care?

Jennifer Lawler
      Keymaster

Rachel, I did feel that I wanted more from the story/storytelling but I definitely enjoyed this one more than others we’ve read recently! I think Marina is essentially a passive character so it’s hard to say that she’s grown or changed or even that she was offered growth/change but refused it, so at the end I was left with a meh feeling of “what was that about?” I mean, Anders is eventually revealed to be at heart a selfish man, but at least he has more energy and drive than Marina ever does.

I feel like one part of the story, Marina coming to terms with what she gave up when she left obstetrics after her “mistake,” had a lot of promise but ultimately was too muddled. She gives up surgery and then in the rain forest suddenly does a bunch of surgeries successfully and then . . . what? Who cares? What does any of it mean?

So it was a bit of a cipher for me. But it did carry me along and entertain me, so I didn’t hate it.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.